Friday, September 18, 2009

Response to Comfort's forward of the Origin of Species Part 1.

Over the next several postings (until I'm done), I will be reviewing this document by Ray Comfort.

On the outset, let me first tell the parts of the document that I will not be reviewing. I will start right off by skipping the first thirteen pages. These pages, as you can verify yourself from the link above, contain a history of Charles Darwin, as well as a timeline of his life. The facts of Darwin's life are objectively verifiable, and to a large extent are correct as presented in this document. I could quibble about the language used, but by and large, I have no major objection to the initial sections of this document.

Furthermore, I won't bother reviewing the section from the 43rd page to the end, starting with the section titled "Atheist Penn and the Time Bomb." These statements contain Ray Comfort's personal opinions and as such cannot objectively be evaluated. Suffice it to say, he draws the false assumption that evolution and atheism are synonymous (despite the fact that he himself names a number of scientists who accept or accepted both evolution and the existence of God; something which he does not even consider a possibility anywhere in his 50-page discourse), and the last pages of his manuscript are him saying that he sees atheism, and all the other major religions as bad, and Christianity as good.

This is going to be a long project, and anticipate the first posting tomorrow, in which I will start talking about the first few pages of the document.

I say that I will probably only get to the first few pages on that particular posting because the first page alone of this document is so crammed full of distortions, half-truths, outright lies, and straw-man arguments that much more than that would result in a ridiculously long posting.

At any rate, anticipate the first posting tomorrow.

No comments: